The region´s wealth and strategic location attracted many different peoples over its history, which has determined its cultural identity.
Archaeological research documents early human presence in the area. There are prehistoric sites (Paleolithic, Neolithic, Copper Age, Bronze Age), as well as Iberian, Roman, Visigothic and Andalusi.
The first precedent of a regionalization of the area dates back to the beginning of the Christian rule. Las Siete Villas (The Seven Villages) first appeared as a demarcation after they were incorporated under the jurisdiction of Granada on May 25, 1492, being Crown property during the 16th and the 17th centuries . Montefrío, Íllora, Moclín, Colomera, Iznalloz, Montejícar and Guadahortuna are the names of Las Siete Villas (The Seven Villages).
The territory occupied by the so-called Siete Villas (Seven Villages) matches up almost entirely with the current Montes de Granada region. It is located inside the most northern alignment of the extreme Baetic System, in the medium and internal SubBaetic domain. It lies to the north of the province of Granada, having an area of 1.601,65 km2 and being a topographical unit which borders, on the north, with the province of Jaén, on the east, with the valley of the Guadiana Menor and the corridor of Pozo Alcón, on the south with the valley of the Genil, and on the west, with the road from Córdoba (BEAS, MATEOS and ARJONA, 2008).